Young Australian citizens reaching the majority age need to apply for a proof of age card indicating their eligibility for certain services. In this article, we would talk about what is a proof of age card and how to get a proof of age card.
What is an Australian Proof of Age Card?
As the name suggests, an Australian Proof of Age Card is an ID card issued by state or territory governments to those who have reached 18 years old. The card, also known as the Evidence of Age Card, or Australian Photo Card, carries personal information like a biometric photo, signature, birthdate, etc. Applicants must be at least 17 years and 11 months old at application, but it works until they are 18.
Usage of Australian Proof of Age Card
In Australia, it is not mandatory to apply for a proof of age card, but you would find it useful in the following situations. Prescribed persons have the right to check the proof of age. They are police officers, security agents, staff or managers of licensed premises.
· It allows you to enter age-restricted premises, such as casinos, bars, etc.
· It enables you to set up accounts in banks or financial organizations.
· It proves your legal eligibility for goods like alcohol.
How to Get a Proof of Age Card
The application might be tricky, but if you go through the following sections, you will have a clearer mind about it.
Requirement Documents for Age Card Application
First of all, let’s learn about what to prepare for the application.
- Application form
- 2 original identification documents (each from the two categories)
Categories A: Full Australian birth certificate/Passport/Naturalisation certificate/Immigration papers/Citizenship papers
Categories B: Driver’s license or learner permit/Security card/Credit Card or bank passbook/Medicare card/ Shooters license/ Student ID
- Photo for Proof of Age Card (turn to Specifications for Australian Proof of Age Card Photo for more information)
Step-By-Step Proof of Age Card Application
- Get the application form.
The form is available in VicRoads branches, Australia Post branches or selected pharmacies and chemists. Moreover, you can also send an email to email@example.com and they will post the form to your address, but it takes maximum 2 weeks to be finished.
- Have your application signed.
Invite another person to witness and sign your application in the “referee’s declaration” section after reviewing your application form and original ID documents. He/she should have known you for more than 1 year and enrolled in the Australian voters’ list.
- Sign your application form.
Then it’s your turn to sign the “applicant’s declaration” on the form under the witness of an authorized person. They could be Justice of the Peace, members of the Victoria Police Force, chiropractors, dentists, legal practitioners, medical practitioners, optometrists, patent attorneys, pharmacists, physiotherapists, psychologists, trademarks attorneys, veterinary surgeons, commissioners for declarations, fellow members of the National Tax and Accountants’, Association Ltd, members of CPA Australia. For more information, please visit the 19th section of the Oaths and Affirmations Act 2018.
If your referee meets the requirements in the list, he can also act as the authorized person.
- Submit documents and fulfill payment
Take the signed ID documents, application form and photos to a go to an appointed office. Don’t bring photocopies. Find a nearby office in this “offices and approved photo agencies” list.
The cost of a proof of age card application is $10. You can pay by cash or credit card.
Specifications for Australian Proof of Age Card Photo
Applicants are requested to provide 2 identical colored photos to apply for a proof of age card. As it is printed on official certificate, they must meet some requirements listed as follows.
- Size: 35mm (width) x 45mm (length)
- Head measurement: 36mm from chin to the top
- Blank space overhead: 2mm
- Background: white
- Resolution: at least 600dpi as clear as passport photos
- Keep your eyes open and look straight at the camera
- The photo must be taken recently, like the last 6 months.
- Only your head and shoulder should be shown in the photo.
- Keep facial features visible and don’t wear accessories that cover any part of your face or produce glares.
- Don’t wear glasses unless for medical reasons and a medical statement signed by registered doctors is available.
- Don’t wear headgear unless for religious reasons.
- Let the light evenly spread on the face in case of generating shadows.
Make Photo for Proof of Age Card Online
Although government offices and approved agencies provide photo-taking services, the photos are surely compliant but may not be pretty enough, so we recommend you make one on your own.
With online photo editing tools like AipassportPhotos, you can make a satisfactory photo without going to a photo studio, which saves you time and money.
After taking a picture under the guidance above, upload it and the program would deal with the size, background and dimensions.
FAQs: Australian Proof of Age Card
- How much does it cost to apply for an Evidence of Age card?
- When can I submit the application?
You can submit the application at 17 years and 11 months old. But it turns valid until you are 18.
- What if there are errors on my Proof of Age card?
Return to the office where you submit your application form within 30 days upon issuance and ask for correction. They would issue a new one for free.
- What if I lose or damage my card?
If it happens within 3 months of issuance and personal information remains the same, you can replace it by paying $25. If it happens more than 3 months of issuance, please apply for a new one.
- What if I need to change my information?
Get a replacement card within 3 months of issuance. The replacement fee is $25. And you will need to apply for a new one after 3 months of issuance.
- How long does the Proof of Age card remain valid?
It would not expire as it is only proof of the holder’s age without any special usage.
- How long does it take to process my application?
It usually takes 3-4 weeks for you to receive your card. If you ask for the application form by email, it would take extra 2 weeks.
Australian proof of age card indicates that you have been a grown-up. Although the government does not request every citizen to apply, holding it would eliminate your trouble of purchasing certain goods and services. By reading this article, we hope you would have a thorough understanding of the adult proof of age card and its uses. Just go ahead to apply and start enjoying rights as grow-ups.