Every passport comes with an expiry date, which means sooner or later you have to go back in and get a replacement. But because US passports expire every five or ten years, it can be understandable if you have forgotten the precise steps on how to get one replaced.
Here’s all you need to know on how to renew a US passport.
Eligibility for a US Passport Renewal
Before you can get a new passport in the United States, you have to make sure that you meet the qualifications to obtain a renewal.
You may not renew your passport in the United States if the passport was issued prior to your 16th birthday, issued more than 15 years ago, was damaged, lost, or stolen, or issued in a previous legal name, such as one prior to a marriage.
In those cases, you will have to apply for an all new passport which is a different process altogether.
Documentation Required for a US Passport Renewal
When renewing your US passport, you will need to provide certain documents to prove your identity and American citizenship. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Your most recent passport (not lost or stolen) whether expired or not
- Money to pay for passport fees
- Passport renewal application document which can be found online at usa.gov
- Personal documents that prove your identity such as an ID or driver’s license
- A document that proves citizenship such as a copy of a birth certificate
- A passport photo that meets certain criteria, such as showing your face from the front with adequate lighting.
Use AI Passport Photos Online for Renewing your US Passport
Every US passport renewal requires you to submit passport photos. Luckily, you don’t have to wait in line at an in-person agency or photo office to do this anymore.
With AI-Photos, all you have to do is upload an appropriate photo from the right angle. The AI will create an appropriate background regardless of where the photo was originally taken. It will make it seem indistinguishable from any passport photo taken at an official photo booth.
This is a great way to not only save on time but to create the ultimate US passport photo customized to perfection. It will help make your US passport renewal process as smooth and seamless as possible.
Tips for Renewing your US Passport
Here are some tips to keep in mind when renewing your US passport:
- Get started early: Renew your passport well before it expires to avoid any unnecessary delays.
- Renewing an unexpired passport is easier: It is generally easier to renew a passport that is still valid, and it could potentially save you money.
- Renew your passport a few months before it expires: Renew your passport several months in advance to ensure that it is ready when you need it.
- Be mindful of processing time: Passport renewal processing time can vary, so make sure you check current processing time before starting the renewal process.
- Expedite your passport if necessary: If you need your passport quickly, you can pay extra for expedited processing, which will speed up the delivery process by a couple of weeks.
Renewing your passport is easier if you have your current passport and it’s still valid. You can save time by using AI-Photos app to create perfect passport photos in seconds. And don’t forget that when applying for a new one by mail, do so with enough time to get it back long before you plan to travel!